Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thoughts While Cruising

I wrote this while on a cruise in March, 2007:

”Remove far from me vanity and lies” Proverbs 30:8

The cruise around South America has been a wonderful opportunity to reflect on my relationship with God and people. With so many people from so many different places in the world combined with just about every create comfort afforded to man one can imagine, I wondered, “Could this be what heaven is like?”With this kind of escape, where all one’s needs are met and then some, it’s easy to imagine, but when I would look around, I observe so many people who demonstrate that the only way they can win their happiness is in the pursuit of their next pleasure.

Charles Spurgeon dealt with this issue in terms of what he feels is the proper Christian response to this, that is, “I do not blame ungodly men for rushing to their pleasure. Why should I? Let them have their fill. That is all they have to enjoy.”

These words were very encouraging to me because rather than feeling pity or anger for the overindulgence of man, I let their behavior serve as a reminder that, as Surgeon continued “the happiest state of a Christian is the holiest state. No Christian enjoys comfort when his eyes are fixed on vanity. Christians must seek their delights in a higher sphere than the insipid frivolities or sinful enjoyments of the world. Vain pursuits are dangerous to renewed saints. No Christian is safe when his soul is slothful and God is far from him.”

I must admit it has been challenging to keep God close by during this cruise due to the many temptations to overindulge. But as always He has been faithful. During the cruise, He placed two people before us that we have an opportunity to develop a friendship with and share the gospel. He has helped me to appreciate my salvation even more, having seen in a dramatic way how far from God many people have become. I add to this our prayers for the many lost souls on the cruise ship, and doubly thank the Almighty for His saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment