Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Life in the Rearview Mirror

Rearview mirrors are a great thing. They allow us to simultaneously see rearward while looking forward. In the case of the rearview mirror in our vehicles, a very useful feature is the convex review mirror. Printed on convex rearview mirrors are the words “objects in mirror are closer than they appear.” The mirror and these instructions have been helping keep drivers safe many years as they not only give a wider view of the road but also help drivers avoid blind spots.

Before I became a teacher, I was in computer sales, for more years that I’d like to remember. Looking back, I realize I wasn’t very good at it. The problem was that I wasn’t driven by money or quotas. I valued relationships above earnings. But in the sales game we are told relationships are key. The most successful sales people I have known and worked with have been motivated primarily by closing deals and making money. Thankfully, like Jed Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillies, I made enough to keep my family fed. On reflection, this was the sole purpose of my short-lived career in sales.

Many years ago I remember taking a sales trip to Florida with one of my many sales managers. I’m afraid I don’t remember his name. One evening at dinner he looked at me and asked, “Kelly, do you know what you are all about?” I replied, “No, I don’t.” He went on to say “Kelly, you are all about the next thing.” I have reflected on his words and conclude he was correct. I am oftentimes about the ‘next thing.’

What does this have to do with rearview mirrors? First, the fact that we are able to look back at our life at all can provide a perspective on our present circumstances. By looking back at our mistakes, our accomplishments and all the rest of it, we may be able to gain insights we might not have. Also, the fact that I’m usually looking forward means I don’t spend a lot of time looking back, and I thank God for this tendency. As a Christian, I am comforted by the scripture that backs up this belief: In the 3rd chapter of Paul’s book to the Philippians he says (in verses 13 & 14) “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

I believe that oftentimes it is good to reflect on our past, but sometimes it is not such a good idea to dwell on it, that is, if it’s concerning trials. If you read the 11th Chapter of the Book of 2nd Corinthians, (specifically, verses 24 through 27) you’ll see Paul was wise not to dwell on his past, as it was filled with pain and persecution. He also uses the word ‘forget.’ Depending on the circumstances, forgetting can be beneficial. There are certainly going to be those events in life you would just as soon forget! But this doesn’t mean we should discard those memories completely, if we are to believe God is sovereign and Romans 8:28 that says, ”And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

As believers, God gives us the opportunity to have an eternal perspective on our past; the good, the bad and even the horrible. We can trust that when we place our past burdens into His loving care, He will ultimately make it for our good and His glory. So, I say, thank goodness for rearview mirrors and thank God for giving us the ability to look back, to look forward, and press onward to the prize that is in Christ Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment