What Does It Mean To Be Happy?
In the movie, City Slickers, actor Jack Palance plays a crusty old cowboy named Curly. Suddenly waxing philosophical with Billy Crystal, he says that the secret to happiness is (as he raises his index finger skyward), “Just one thing,” Billy Crystal then asks, “What is the one thing?” Jack replied, "that’s what you have to figure out." What do I think he meant? I think that Curly meant that for one thing, happiness is an elusive thing; everyone wants it but not everyone gets it. Most people spent their whole life trying to attain it and will try just about anything to make it happen. I also think he means that the definition of happiness is different for everyone. What might make one person happy may not mean happiness to another.
What does the Bible says about happiness? The apostle Paul said (Phillipians 4:12) “I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” What do you think he means by this statement? Are you content in any and all circumstances you face? Paul knew how to be content whether he had plenty or whether he was in need. The secret for him was drawing on Christ’s power for strength. Do you have great needs or are you discontented because you don’t have what you want? Learn to rely on God’s promises and Christ’s power to help you. If you always want more, ask God to remove that desire from you and teach you contentment in every circumstance. He will supply all your needs, but in a way that He knows is best for you.
Can God supply all of your needs? Phillipians 4:19 says “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” What this means is that God will always meet our needs. Whatever we need on earth he will always supply, even if it is the courage to face death as Paul did. Whatever we need in heaven he will supply. But we must remember the difference between our wants and our needs. Everyone wants to feel good and avoid discomfort or pain. But this doesn’t always happen. By trusting in Jesus, our attitudes and appetites can change from wanting everything to accepting his provision and power to live for him.
How can you find true contentment? Paul was content because he could see life from God’s point of view. He focused on what he was supposed to do, not what he felt he should have. Paul had his priorities straight, and he was grateful for everything God had given him. Paul had detached himself from the nonessentials of this world in order that he could concentrate on the eternal. Often the desire for more or better possessions is really a longing to fill an empty place in a person’s life. To what are you drawn when you feel empty inside? The answer lies in your perspective, your priorities, and your source of power. Our society is filled with people searching for contentment and satisfaction. Everyone feels dissatisfied at some point in their life. Look at all the ways people try to become satisfied; the accumulation of personal possessions, money, drug use, sex, etc. The key is that you can’t ‘become’ satisfied, content or happy; Paul had it right; you have to be content with whatever station in life you find yourself and prioritize your life in such a way that the opportunities for dissatisfaction are minimized and satisfaction is maximized. Personally I did not find true happiness, joy and contentment until I was saved at age 35. Until I found Christ, all my attempts to be happy failed because I was still relying on myself or some other false god to give me peace and joy. I hadn’t yet discovered the creator of peace and joy; God Himself. He has been the only one who has been able to give me true joy and peace in my life. To me, the key to true joy is to diminish, not increase ‘self.’ In effect, this is what Christ told His disciples to do. That is, the power for a obedient, joyful, fulfilling life does not reside in our flesh, because our flesh always get it wrong. The power comes from the Spirit of the one true God. Personally, the more of life’s worries I leave to Him and trust that He will work them out according to His plan, the better off I find I am. The more I try to control people, or circumstances, the more miserable I am. I give God all the praise for anything good in my life, because He is the creator and author of every good and perfect thing. Amen
By Kelly Laughlin
No comments:
Post a Comment