Tuesday, December 28, 2010

He Chose Us (Ephesians 1:4)

Before I begin to feel proud of my Christian heritage, character or deeds, I am quickly reminded of who I am and to whom I belong. "He chose us" are words that are at the very heart of the gospel and truth for every believer. My salvation did not begin with me reaching up to God but rather, Him, via his love and mercy, starting the process by reaching down to me. As God stood in the cooridor of time, before He made the universe, He looked into the past, present and future, all at once. He saw me. He saw my life from beginning to end. He saw me with all my blemishes, my flaws and my sin. He saw me for who I really am. He chose me. Not because of some great feat He knew I would accomplish in His name. Not because of my character. Not because of my good works or any grand human virtue; not because of my sin, but in spite of my sin. He chose me because of His great love for me. He chose me through the perfect sacrifice of His Son Jesus; by the blood that provides forgiveness. By the perfect gift of Christ's death on the cross. In that one mighty moment, when I accepted His free gift by faith alone, my life changed. In an instant I became a new person; a new creature. Do I feel pride? Yes! But the only pride I can rightly claim is pride in my Father in His Son's precious name for saving me and giving me a new identity...Christian!

By Kelly Laughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment